30 South Australian Nursing Staff made their way to Port Melbourne as part of the Second Australian General Hospital (1st to 16th and Special Reinforcements). They embarked on the H.M.A.T. Kyarra, departing Port Melbourne on the 4th Dec 1914. The nursing staff were eventually placed at the Lemnos Island hospital.
Taken at Beau Rivage hostel, Egypt, May 1915. Shortly after this Sister Menhennett (centre) and Staff Nurse Henrietta Perrin, (marked with X) were transferred to Mena Hospital, Lemnos Island.
British Nurses in this photo are wearing grey capes with red trim.
After the evacuation of troops from Gallipoli in December 1915, Australian hospitals on Lemnos Island were closed by April 1916. Nurses Henrietta Perrin, Edith Menhennett, Lucy Daw, Olive Haynes, Anne Donnell, along with other Adelaide Hospital staff, were placed with No2 Australian General Hospital, Alexandria Cairo or nursing with Transport (Hospital Ships). Perrin also was transferred to Auxiliary Hospitals in England.