Name/TitleInstrument: Uterine Sound
About this objectCardboard box of 8 metal probes. A typed display note, possibly from 1920s, describes the items as “Child’s sounds” and “Child’s Metal Catheter”. Each probe is stamped on both sides of the circular end, one side with “Endoscopic London Stainless Steel” . The other side has numerical stamps to denote the size or diameter of the sound. The base of the box is lined in cotton wadding, the manufacturer labels are no longer adhered to the box.
Dr Joseph Cooke Verco was an Honorary Physician at the Adelaide Hospital and Lecturer in Medicine. He went to the United Kingdom for his medical education and had a distinguished student career at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London, where, after qualifying, he was a resident medical officer. In 1876 he became M.D. (London) and, in 1877, F.R.C.S. England. He returned to Adelaide in 1878, where he initially worked as a general practitioner.
In 1880 he became an Honorary Medical Officer at the Adelaide Hospital and was also Honorary Physician at the Adelaide Children’s Hospital. He was associated with the Adelaide Medical School from the beginning and was also the founder of the Dental School and first Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.
In 1919 a knighthood was conferred on Dr Verco. This was the first occasion on which such an honour was given to a medical man in South Australia for purely medical and scientific services.
Date MadeCa 1900
Place MadeLondon, England
MeasurementsBox - L26xW7xH3cm
Instruments - approximately 21cm long
Subject and Association KeywordsJoseph Cooke Verco