Name/TitleNursing: "Nightingale" Lamp
About this objectThe wording in the Capping Ceremony programe gives the history of this silver oil lamp:
"The silver lamp on the altar was presented to Ellen Savage and Irene Kennedy by the School of Nursing, Leicester Royal Infirmary, when they were Florence Nightingale Scholars visiting that hospital in 1947.
Ellen Savage was the only nurse to survive the Hospital Ship "Centaur", which sank off the Queensland coast on the 14th May 1943, torpedoed by the Japanese. There were 39 other survivors whom Sister Savage looked after with 'fortitude and astounding calmness'. Irene Kennedy was Superintendent of Nurses at Royal Adelaide Hospital from 1966 until her retirement in 1973.
It was the wish of these famous nurses that the lamp be used by students of the School of Nursing, Royal Adelaide Hospital in the Capping Ceremony during their first year of study.
It is also used at the annual Dedication Service of the Royal College of Nursing Australia, South Australian Chapter"
The lamp is sterling silver with decorative edge details on the base and top plate. The handle is scrolled around and is finished with a lioness’ head. The assay mark denotes the item as Sterling Silver; the ‘lioness face’ mark represents the London Assay Office, and a lion with raised paw represents Great Britain. The date stamp is not visible and it is believed to be on the base of the lamp attached to the tile plate. The lamp is permanently attached to opaque base tiles.
Date Madeca 1947
Medium and MaterialsSterling silver, ceramic, wood
MeasurementsTile base is 31cm long x 15 cm wide.
Silver lamp is approximately 15cm long x 6cm across bowl.
CollectionHeritage Office, Royal Adelaide Hospital
Object TypeDO NOT USE Nursing