Name/TitleSir Henry Simpson Newland collection: Morton's Ophthalmoscope
About this objectThis ophthalmoscope, designed and named in 1853 by Andrew Stanford Morton, was the first to use two concave mirrors mounted onto the one hand-piece, an improvement on the previous single mirror scopes.
Originally belonging to Sir Henry Simpson Newland, the ophthalmoscope has a chain-of-lenses that screw into a brass and ivory handle. On the reverse are 2 circular mirrors, one larger and one small. This ophthalmoscope was used by (Dr) Sir Newland while a house surgeon and registrar of the London Hospital 1891.
Sir Henry Simpson Newland was a distinguished Australian surgeon, early pioneer of services in reconstructive and plastic surgery for WW1 service personnel, thoracic and neurosurgery. Sir Newland gave the ophthalmoscope to Dr Donald Beard, a measure friendship and mutual respect.
Manufactured by Curry and Paxton, London
Place MadeLondon, UK
Medium and MaterialsBrass, ivory, silvering, steel
Inscription and Marks"NSH" engraved onto bottom brass disk
MeasurementsL 10 x 25 x 2 cm.
Subject and Association DescriptionSir Henry Simpson Newland (1873-1969) was born in Adelaide, graduating from the University of Adelaide in 1896. Further surgical training in London 1889, he was surgical registrar at the London Hospital in 1901.
Returning to Adelaide in 1902, his career at the Adelaide Hospital was interspersed with with overseas study then service in World War 1. He played a major role in the activities of the British Medical Association and in the creation of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1927. He served as its President from 1929 to 1935.
CollectionSir Henry Simpson Newland
Object TypeMedical instrument