Blog Archives

Consumptive Home and Cancer wards 1902-1932

The Adelaide Hospital established a Consumptives’ Home in what had been the original 1840 era hospital building, located beyond the Botanical Gardens east of the existing hospital. Between 1856 and 1902 the original hospital building had been used as an annexe of the overcrowded North Terrace asylum. When the asylum

Read More…

Posted in Adelaide Hospital 1900 to 1960, Histories

Nurse Lucy Daw, Adelaide Hospital 1907

Lucy Daw collected many photographs during her time at the Adelaide Hospital, and collated various images into an autograph book. These photographs, taken during the years 1906 and 1907,  her last years of training, illustrate details of hospital wards, medical and nursing staff.                       

Read More…

Posted in Adelaide Hospital 1900 to 1960

Adelaide Hospital Auxiliary

The (Royal) Adelaide Auxiliary formed in 1924 and undertook management of the refreshment kiosk, which consisted of a kitchen and tearoom.  Excerpt from “The Advertiser” newspaper article, July 1937 “Adelaide Hospital Auxiliary” “A small cabin erected In the Adelaide Hospital grounds in February. 1925, was the first home of the

Read More…

Posted in Adelaide Hospital 1900 to 1960